The AEGD program at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry involves a partnership with Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital. The AEGD program is a 12-month (PGY1) program with an optional second year (PGY2). Faculty for the program are full-time and part-time faculty of Detroit Mercy Dental. The program shares faculty, clinical facilities and training with other Detroit Mercy Dental graduate programs.
Residents are exposed to aspects of dentistry including:
- advanced treatment planning
- surgical and restorative aspects of implant dentistry
- periodontal surgery
- pediatric dentistry
- complex prosthodontic treatment
- advanced dental alveolar surgery
- treatment of medically compromised patients
The Detroit Mercy Dental AEGD program has CODA approval for a total of seven dental student graduates who have fulfilled all admission requirements. The program will start with orientation the last week of June and end on June 30 of the following calendar year. Each graduating resident are awarded a certificate of program completion.
The AEGD Program does not participate in MATCH.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- D.D.S./D.M.D. degree from a dental education program in the United States or Canada which is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)
- Successful completion of Part I of the National Board Examination prior to applying for admission; Part II before beginning the program
- Completion of INBDE not required prior to application; successful completion of INBDE required by March 1 for admitted applicants
- Good academic credentials (GPA no less than 2.8)
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens or permanent residents