Diagnostic Medical Sonography program highlights
Welcome to the Ascension St. Vincent Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program! We are grateful that you found us and excited to share information about our program with you.
- Accredited in the Abdomen Extended, Obstetric and Vascular Concentrations
- Full-time, 6 semesters (24-month) program
- Award an Associate of Applied Science degree to program graduates
- The 2024 Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program application will be available on the website in August of 2023.
- Applications for 2024 can be submitted from November 1st, 2023 through January 31st, 2024.
To quickly navigate to the following, please click on each link!
Clinical Learning Sites
The Ascension St. Vincent Sonography Program benefits from a variety of clinical learning sites throughout Ascension St. Vincent system. DMS students will rotate to all of the clinical learning sites below. Learn more about our clinical sites by clicking here.
- Ascension St. Vincent Indianapolis, 2001 W. 86th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46260
- Ascension St. Vincent Carmel, 13500 N Meridian Street, Carmel, IN 46032
- Ascension St. Vincent Fishers, 13861 Olio Road, Fishers, IN 46037
- Ascension St. Vincent Women's, 8111 Township Line Road, Indianapolis, IN 46260
- Ascension St. Vincent Anderson, 2015 Jackson Street Anderson, IN 46016
- Ascension St. Vincent Kokomo, 1907 W. Sycamore Street, Kokomo, IN 46901
- Ascension St. Vincent Medical Group Vascular Lab, 8433 Harcourt Rd., Ste. 100, Indianapolis, IN 46260
- Ascension St. Vincent Vein Solutions, 13450 N. Meridian St. Ste. 160, Carmel, IN 46032
- Ascension St. Vincent Primary Care Center, 8414 Naab Rd, Suite 210, Indianapolis, IN 46260
- Ascension St. Vincent Maternal Fetal Medicine Genetics, 8081 Township Line Rd., Suite 203 Indianapolis, IN 46260
- Ascension St. Vincent Maternal Fetal Medicine Carmel, 13500 North Meridian Street Suite 200, Carmel, IN 46032
The program is committed to offering students the highest quality of education and training possible. To that end, the program has established a comprehensive Assessment Plan to assure program quality and promote performance improvement. The Assessment Plan contains student learning outcomes and is based on the annual performance goals and outcomes listed below.
Program Goals and Outcomes
Goal 1: Students will be clinically competent.
1.1. Students will produce sonographic images of diagnostic quality.
1.2. Students will produce sonographic images demonstrating the ALARA principle.
1.3. Students will produce sonographic images demonstrating appropriate anatomical
1.4. Students will be able to analyze sonographic images for quality.
Goal 2: Students will demonstrate the ability to critically think.
2.1. Students will be able to analyze sonographic images for quality.
Goal 3: Students will communicate effectively.
3.1. Students will demonstrate written communication skills.
3.2. Students will demonstrate verbal communication skills.
Goal 4: Students will model professionalism.
4.1. Students will display a professional attitude in daily practice.
4.2. Students will demonstrate professional behaviors in daily practice.
4.3. Graduates will demonstrate professional behaviors in daily practice.
Goal 5: Student will provide quality patient care.
5.1. Students will provide quality patient care in daily practice.
5.2. Students will recognize and demonstrate understanding of behavioral and communication characteristics of patients across the age continuum
Goal 6: The program will prepare students to challenge the ARDMS/ARRT specialty credentialing exam.
6.1. An adequate % of program graduates will successfully pass at least one of the ARDMS
specialty examinations on the first attempt upon graduation.
6.2. Program graduates will demonstrate overall mastery on the ARDMS specialty exams.
Goal 7: The program will maintain a positive learning environment.
7.1. Students will express satisfaction with clinical education sites.
7.2. Students will express satisfaction with academic courses.
7.3. Graduating students will express overall satisfaction with the program prior to graduation.
7.4. Alumni will express overall satisfaction with the program quality
Goal 8: The program will demonstrate a positive effect on the community.
8.1. Students will graduate from the program.
8.2. Program graduates actively seeking employment will be gainfully employed.
8.3. Employers of program graduates will express overall satisfaction with graduate quality.
Goal 9: The program will prepare competent entry-level sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains in abdominal-extended sonography.
Goal 10: The program will prepare competent entry-level obstetric sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains in obstetrics and gynecology sonography.
Goal 11: The program will prepare competent entry-level vascular sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains in vascular sonography.
Program Outcome Results
Click here to access the Sonography Program's outcome results from 2021 - 2023.