To apply for admission, candidates must submit each of the following:
1. Signed admission application. Applications are available on this site in August through the January 31st deadline.
2. Non-refundable $20 application fee. The fee must be in the form of a personal check, money order, or cashier’s check. Cash will not be accepted. Make checks payable to “Ascension St. Vincent Sonography Program.”
3. Complete a narrative essay that is signed and dated addressing the following:
a. Explain why you want to be a general and/or vascular sonographer
b. Describe what you believe are essential traits of a diagnostic medical sonographer
c. List and explain your long-term career goals
4. Attend a Pre Admission Conference prior to the application deadline.
5. Official transcripts from an American university, technical, vocational or other post- secondary institutions / schools attended. We recommend that official transcripts be sent electronically from the academic institution to the program director at email@example.com . Official transcripts may also be mailed to the program director directly from the institution or included with the candidate's application (but must remain in the sealed envelope from the institution). Transcripts that have been "Issued to Student" will not be accepted.
Please read the following reminders carefully if you are planning to apply to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. This information is extremely important so applicants can be sure to have a complete application prior to the application deadline.
- If an applicant plans to apply to both the Cardiac Sonography Program and the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, be sure to fill out separate applications for each program. The applicant will also need to include two application fees and two narrative essays. Only one set of transcripts need to be sent to the program director, Ashlie Munchel.
- Please submit ALL application materials together in one envelope. This keeps your application materials together and helps prevent one item from getting misplaced. Transcripts are the only application requirement that may be submitted electronically.
- Applications being dropped off in person may be left at the radiology desk right inside entrance 3 at the main Ascension St. Vincent Indianapolis Hospital at 2001 W. 86th Street. Make sure that ALL application materials are included in one envelope and the outside of the envelope is clearly labeled with the following: Ashlie Munchel, Sonography Program Director. Applications are only accepted November 1, 2023 through January 31, 2024. Please submit a courtesy email to firstname.lastname@example.org letting her know that you have dropped off your application at the radiology desk.
- If application documents are being mailed, the program recommends mailing your documents no later than 14 days prior to the deadline. Parcel tracking is also recommended. All application materials must be in the hands of the program director by the end of business on January 31, 2024.
- If you took dual credit courses in high school and received college credit, please send the college transcript that reflects those credits earned.
- Send ALL college transcripts from any regionally accredited college or university that you have ever attended. This includes college transcripts that are older and that may not reflect any prerequisite courses that you have taken.
- If the applicant is taking prerequisite courses in the fall of 2023, please do not submit your transcripts until after those courses are complete. It takes a couple of weeks for those grades to be reflected on the transcript. The grades for the prerequisite courses will need to be reflected on the transcript or you will be asked to send the transcript again.
Pre Admission Conference
- Any applicant applying to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program must attend an in person Pre Admission Conference. If you are applying to the program that starts in June of 2024, the dates are December 6th, 2023, January 9th, 2024 and January 23, 2024. For additional information about the Pre Admission Conference, please click here.
Current Class Schedule
- If an applicant does not have all of the prerequisite courses completed at the time the application is turned in, please include a copy of your class schedule showing proof that you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite courses. In order for your application to be complete, the program will need to see proof that the applicant is enrolled in any prerequisite course that is not already complete at the time the application is submitted.