Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola
Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola is the hub of the Ascension Sacred Heart in Pensacola, Florida. It is a regional medical and surgical hospital that serves the Northwest Florida region. Major regional services based in Pensacola also include: A Regional Heart and Vascular Institute, the area's leading stroke center, a level II trauma center, and a full-service diagnostic center, including women's health and maternity services.The hospital is affiliated with Ascension Medical Group Sacred Heart, a regional network of doctors and providers stretching from Gulf Shores, Alabama, to Apalachicola, Florida.
Ascension Sacred Heart is part of Ascension, the nation's largest Catholic, nonprofit health system. Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, with special attention to persons living in poverty and those most vulnerable.
Photo by Chris Brignola on Unsplash
- Service of the poor: Generosity of spirit, especially for persons most in need
- Reverence: Respect and compassion for the dignity and diversity of life
- Integrity: Inspiring trust through personal leadership
- Wisdom: Integrating excellence and stewardship
- Creativity: Courageous innovation
- Dedication: Affirming the hope and joy of our ministry
More than a century ago, when the people of Pensacola asked for better healthcare and a more modern hospital, their prayers were answered by the Daughters of Charity. The Daughters comprise a religious order that was founded in 1633 in France by St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac with the mission of caring for the poor and the sick. The Daughters came to Pensacola not only to build a hospital, but to carry out their charitable mission of providing excellent healthcare to all persons, with special attention to the poor and vulnerable.
Today, the hospital built in Pensacola by the Sisters continues that same mission. Pensacola remains the hub of what has become a truly regional Health System with three hospital campuses, as well as outpatient facilities, physician offices and other services spanning 200 miles of the Gulf Coast from Gulf Shores, Ala. to Apalachicola, Fla. After 50 years in its original stone structure on 12th Avenue, the hospital relocated in 1965 to a new hospital off Ninth Avenue in Pensacola, across from Cordova Mall.
Since then, Sacred Heart has continued to advance its technology and expand its services. In August of 1996, Sacred Heart Children's Hospital - Northwest Florida's first and only children's hospital - opened on the Pensacola campus.
In 2000, Sacred Heart completed major expansion projects that added new wings for surgical suites, a Regional Heart and Vascular Institute and a new center for emergency/trauma services. Sacred Heart teamed up with Methodist Homes to open the new Haven of Our Lady of Peace nursing home off Summit Boulevard in November 2001. Sacred Heart completed the largest expansion of its Pensacola campus in 2014 with the construction of the Bayou Tower, which added 112 private rooms to the hospital. In 2016, Sacred Heart broke ground on a new four-story Children's Hospital -- the Studer Family Children's Hospital at Sacred Heart -- which opened in 2019.
Today, Sacred Heart continues its legacy of serving individuals, families and communities as part of Ascension. Together, our caregivers strive to bring you coordinated, compassionate care that is personalized to your individual needs.
Pharmacy Committee Involvement
- Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee (P&T)
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee (ASP)
- Investigational Review Board (IRB)
- Medication Safety Committee
- Critical Care Committee
- Informatics Committee
- Departmental Shared Governance Committee
- Surgery/OR Steering Committee
- Serious Safety Event Review Team (SERT)
- PGY1 Preceptor Committee
- Residency Advisory Committee (RAC)
- Medication Shortage Committee
- Pharmacy Leadership Committee
- Pharmacy Stoplight Leadership Committee
- Ascension Sacred Heart Quality & Safety Committee Meeting
- Comprehensive Stroke Committee
- Sentri7 Clinical Advisory Committee
- Pharmacy Resident Research Committee
- Leadership Daily Safety Huddle
- Ascension Pharmacy Community Call
- Specialists/Team Lead Meeting
- Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola Leadership Council
- ACRI IRB Workgroup Call
- Total Joint Center Monthly Meeting
- GME Governance Meeting
- Pharmacy Technician Meeting
- Bi-Weekly Resident-RPD meeting
Clinical Pharmacy Services
The following are clinical activities provided by the pharmacy department:
- Adverse drug event reporting
- Anticoagulation monitoring
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Drug order entry, preparation, and distribution
- Drug information
- IV to PO conversion
- Multidisciplinary rounding
- Patient education / discharge counseling
- Parenteral nutrition preparation & monitoring
- Patient profile review for drug-drug & drug-food interactions, therapeutic duplications & modifications
- Pharmacokinetic dosing and monitoring
- Renal dose adjustment
- Therapeutic Heparin monitoring and dosing